Intuitive Surgical leads in the development and commercialization of medical robotic technology. Our products are designed to extend the benefits of minimally invasive surgery to the broadest possible base of patients. Intuitive’s product line can provide surgeons with all of the clinical and technical capabilities of traditional open surgery while enabling them to operate through a few tiny incisions.
Intuitive Surgical’s da Vinci® Surgical System combines superior 3D high definition vision with our patented EndoWrist® Instruments allowing for enhanced dexterity, precision and control. The end result: a breakthrough in surgical capabilities.
Learn More About Intuitive Surgical's Products:
The da Vinci Surgical System improves patient experiences and outcomes by fundamentally changing surgery in three ways:
da Vinci Surgery simplifies many existing minimally invasive procedures.
Many standard laparoscopic procedures may be performed more quickly and easily using the da Vinci Surgical System. This is because the da Vinci System delivers equal or improved outcomes while maintaining the same "look and feel" of open surgery. Standard laparoscopy uses small incisions to insert long-shafted instruments, but has certain limitations when the procedure, patient’s anatomy or condition is challenging or complex.
da Vinci Surgery makes difficult operations routine.
Traditional laparoscopic surgery has never been widely used except for routine procedures. Only a select group of highly skilled surgeons attempt complex procedures using this approach. The da Vinci Surgical System allows more surgeons to perform complex procedures using a minimally invasive approach – routinely and with confidence.
da Vinci makes new minimally invasive surgical procedures possible.
A number of procedures that could not be performed using traditional minimally invasive technologies can now be performed using the da Vinci Surgical System. The advanced features and extensive EndoWrist® instrumentation of the da Vinci System allow surgeons to perform more procedures through small, 1-2 cm incisions.
Improved Patient Outcomes
By improving surgical capabilities, Intuitive's products are helping to improve clinical outcomes and redefining standards of care. Patients may experience the following benefits:*
* Excellent cancer control, where indicated1
* Less blood loss and transfusions
* Shortened hospital stay2
* Less pain2
* Low risk of infection, complications1
* Fast recovery and return to normal activities4
* Small incisions for less scarring3
*Potential benefits are specific to the procedure referenced in the footnoted publication.
As with any surgery, these benefits cannot be guaranteed, as surgery is unique to each patient and procedure. The da Vinci Surgical System is considered safe and effective, but may not be appropriate for everyone. Always ask your doctor about all treatment options, as well as the benefits and risks.
1. Weinstein et al. Transoral robotic surgery: does the end justify the means?; Cur. Opinion in Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery. 2009 17:126-131.
2. Boggess. Robotic surgery in gynecologic oncology: evolution of a new surgical paradigm. J Robotic Surg (2007) 1:31-3
3. O’Malley, Weinstein et al. Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS) for Base of Tongue Neoplasms; The Laryngoscope, 2006 The American Larygnological Rhinological and Otological Society.
4. Payne et al. A comparison of total laparoscopic hysterectomy to robotically assisted hysterectomy: surgical outcomes in a community practice. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2008 May-June;15(3):28.