The da Vinci® Surgical System
The da Vinci® Surgical System enables surgeons to perform delicate and complex operations through a few small incisions. The da Vinci System consists of several key components, including: an ergonomically designed console where the surgeon sits while operating, a patient-side cart where the patient is positioned during surgery, interactive robotic arms, a 3D HD vision system, and proprietary EndoWrist® instruments.
da Vinci is powered by state-of-the-art robotic technology that allows the surgeon’s hand movements to be scaled, filtered and translated into precise movements of the EndoWrist instruments working inside the patient’s body.
Components of the da Vinci Surgical System
* Using the da Vinci Surgical System, the surgeon operates seated comfortably at a console while viewing a high definition, 3D image inside the patient’s body.
* The surgeon's fingers grasp the master controls below the display with hands and wrists naturally positioned relative to his or her eyes.
* The system seamlessly translates the surgeon's hand, wrist and finger movements into precise, real-time movements of surgical instruments
* The patient-side cart is where the patient is positioned during surgery. It includes either three or four robotic arms that carry out the surgeon's commands.
* The robotic arms move around fixed pivot points.
* The system requires that every surgical maneuver be under the direct control of the surgeon. Repeated safety checks prevent any independent movement of the instruments or robotic arms.
* A full range of Endowrist instruments is available to the surgeon while operating.
* The instruments are designed with seven degrees of motion - a range of motion even greater than the human wrist
* Each instrument has a specific surgical mission such as clamping, suturing and tissue manipulation.
* Quick-release levers speed instrument changes during surgery.
* The vision system is equipped with a high-definition, 3D endoscope (flexible tube with a camera and light at the tip) and image processing equipment that provides true-to-life images of the patient’s anatomy.
* A view of the operating field is available to the entire OR team on a large viewing monitor (vision cart). This widescreen view provides the surgical assistant at the patient’s side with a broad perspective and visualization of the procedure.
Serious complications may occur in any surgery, including da Vinci® Surgery, up to and including death. Examples of serious or life-threatening complications, which may require prolonged and/or unexpected hospitalization and/or reoperation, include but are not limited to, one or more of the following: injury to tissues/organs, bleeding, infection and internal scarring that can cause long-lasting dysfunction/pain. Risks of surgery also include the potential for equipment failure and/or human error. Individual surgical results may vary.
Risks specific to minimally invasive surgery, including da Vinci Surgery, include but are not limited to, one or more of the following: temporary pain/nerve injury associated with positioning; temporary pain/discomfort from the use of air or gas in the procedure; a longer operation and time under anesthesia and conversion to another surgical technique. If your doctor needs to convert the surgery to another surgical technique, this could result in a longer operative time, additional time under anesthesia, additional or larger incisions and/or increased complications.
Patients who are not candidates for non-robotic minimally invasive surgery are also not candidates for da Vinci® Surgery. Patients should talk to their doctor to decide if da Vinci Surgery is right for them. Patients and doctors should review all available information on non-surgical and surgical options in order to make an informed decision. For Important Safety Information, including surgical risks, indications, and considerations and contraindications for use, please also refer to http://www.intuitivesurgical.com/safety. Unless otherwise noted, all people depicted are models.
© 2014 Intuitive Surgical. All rights reserved. All product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.