da Vinci® Skills Simulator™
Skills Practice in an Immersive Virtual Environment
Portable. Practical. Powerful. The da Vinci Skills Simulator contains a variety of exercises and scenarios specifically designed to give users the opportunity to improve their proficiency with the da Vinci surgeon console controls. The sleek case seamlessly integrates with an existing da Vinci Xi® Si® or Si-e® surgeon console* turning it into a novel practice platform that can be used in or outside the operating room. No additional system components are required.
* The straightforward set-up allows users to practice unassisted or with supervision, according to their preference.
* Built-in metrics enable users to assess skills, receive real-time feedback and track progress.
* Administrative tools let users structure their own curriculum to fit with other learning activities in their institution.
* The open architecture of the system software allows for the future development and incorporation of additional practice modules.
One Solution With Many Benefits
Simulation in all forms is an important part of the learning experience for surgical technology. By providing a controlled re-creation of critical steps in instrument control, simulation allows surgeons to practice their skills in a non-clinical environment. Other major benefits of simulation include the ability to:
* Increase familiarity with the da Vinci System - Any new surgical technology comes with a learning curve. The Skills Simulator allows surgeons to practice on the da Vinci System as much as needed to become comfortable with new techniques.
* Provide more learning opportunities - For residents, simulation helps maximize their practice time and ensures they get as much technical exposure as possible.
* Measure progress - This is a quantitative, measured platform designed to allow surgeons to see how they have done on a given exercise and to track progress over time.
* Warm-up before surgery - The simulator can be used immediately before a case to allow surgeons to re-familiarize themselves with the console.
A Variety of Comprehensive Exercises
Developed in collaboration with Mimic® Technologies, The Skills Simulator exercises range from basic to advanced and are designed to be relevant to surgeons from any specialty.
Each exercise covers at least one of the following skill categories:
* EndoWrist® Manipulation - EndoWrist instruments are designed to provide surgeons with natural dexterity and a range of motion far greater than even the human hand. These exercises are designed to help users gain familiarity with the movement of these instruments.
* Camera and Clutching – The three-dimensional, enhanced high-definition vision of the da Vinci System offers a key clinical advantage in surgery, and these exercises help users improve camera control and learn to use the clutch effectively.
* Fourth Arm Integration – For more advanced instrument control skills, some exercises include a fourth instrument arm that must be used. This is designed to promote instrument skill, and encourages users to think strategically about instrument placement during tasks.
* System Settings – The surgeon console features a comprehensive set of controls for user settings. Quiz exercises on the simulator focus on basic setting topics such as icons, ergonomics and instrument scaling.
* Needle Control and Driving – These scenarios are designed to help users develop skill when manipulating needles, including a focus on how to effectively hand off and position needles while practicing with a range of geometries.
* Energy and Dissection – The footswitch panel enables users to perform a range of tasks such as swapping between different types of energy instruments. These exercises allow users to gain familiarity with the footswitch panel by letting them practice applying monopolar and bipolar energy while working on dissection tasks.
Serious complications may occur in any surgery, including da Vinci® Surgery, up to and including death. Examples of serious or life-threatening complications, which may require prolonged and/or unexpected hospitalization and/or reoperation, include but are not limited to, one or more of the following: injury to tissues/organs, bleeding, infection and internal scarring that can cause long-lasting dysfunction/pain. Individual surgical results may vary.
Risks specific to minimally invasive surgery, including da Vinci® Surgery, include but are not limited to, one or more of the following: temporary pain/nerve injury associated with positioning; a longer operative time, the need to convert to an open approach, or the need for additional or larger incision sites. Converting the procedure could result in a longer operative time, a longer time under anesthesia, and could lead to increased complications. Contraindications applicable to the use of conventional endoscopic instruments also apply to the use of all da Vinci® instruments. You should discuss your surgical experience and review these and all risks with your patients, including the potential for human error and equipment failure. Physicians should review all available information. Clinical studies are available through the National Library of Medicine at www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed.
Be sure to read and understand all information in the applicable user manuals, including full cautions and warnings, before using da Vinci products. Failure to properly follow all instructions may lead to injury and result in improper functioning of the device. Training provided by Intuitive Surgical is limited to the use of its products and does not replace the necessary medical training and experience required to perform surgery. Procedure descriptions are developed with, reviewed and approved by independent surgeons. Other surgical techniques may be documented in publications available at the National Library of Medicine. For Important Safety Information, indications for use, risks, full cautions and warnings, please also refer to http://www.intuitivesurgical.com/safety. Unless otherwise noted, products featured are available for commercial distribution in the U.S. For availability outside the US, please check with your local representative or distributor.
Nothing in Intuitive Surgical training curricula makes expressed or implied promises or commitments to the persons attending. This includes any promise or commitment that the trainee will be provided any specific product or technology in future or that the trainee will be certified to perform a procedure related to the curriculum.
Some of the training described in Intuitive Surgical promotions may be provided by organizations or entities other than Intuitive.
Surgeon proctors are independent contractors. The prices listed for proctoring are for services rendered by the independent surgeon proctors. A list of surgeon proctors can be provided upon request. Intuitive Surgical does not take responsibility for proctoring services provided by independent surgeon proctors. The hospital/surgeon purchases the proctoring service as part of training they have independently determined to be part of their credentialing requirement; Intuitive Surgical’s role is merely to coordinate between the hospital/surgeon and the proctor. The proctors and the hospital/surgeon are always free to negotiate with each other directly.
Third-party products shown interacting with the da Vinci System and its instrumentation have been validated by Intuitive for use with the da Vinci System. Validation is for compatibility only and does not imply endorsement of the product by Intuitive.
da Vinci® Skills Simulator™ is intended to augment, not replace, existing training programs for the da Vinci™ Surgical System.
Unless otherwise noted, all people depicted are models.© Intuitive Surgical, Inc. All rights reserved. Product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.